Assistant General Counsel
Department: General Counsel
Location: Chicago, IL
Travel Requirements: N/A
Job ID: 329
Description: The Assistant General Counsel provides legal advice and representation to NFA and all NFA departments. Additionally, the Assistant General Counsel supports NFA's efforts to provide an efficient and effective regulatory environment.
- Provide legal advice to NFA staff concerning interpretation of relevant statutes and rules.
- Respond to requests for information from Members, NFA staff, the public and other regulatory organizations.
- Participate on panels at industry conferences and NFA Member workshops.
- Identify and provide appropriate training and work assignments to enable staff and Senior Attorneys to learn and develop necessary skills for advancement.
- Provide input on strategic planning initiatives.
- Collaborate with NFA's Futures and Swaps Compliance staff on NFA investigations and the preparation of investigative reports for presentation to NFA's Business Conduct Committee (BCC).
- Manage assigned disciplinary cases through the appellate process, including serving as counsel for NFA in assigned cases and assisting other NFA attorneys with their assigned cases (e.g., serve as co-counsel at a BCC hearing).
- Collaborate with Market Regulation staff on investigations involving DCMs and SEFs with regulatory services agreements and prepare reports for the DCMs, SEFs or the CFTC on potential rule violations.
- Liaise with CFTC enforcement staff and enforcement staff at other regulators and agencies, as needed.
- Prepare memoranda summarizing NFA's enforcement activities for NFA's Board and Executive Committee and make presentations on NFA's enforcement activities, as needed.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois or another state with the ability to be admitted in the Illinois State Bar
- Ten or more years of experiences as a practicing attorney with a focus on futures, derivatives and securities laws
- Knowledge of the Commodity Exchange Act, CFTC Regulations and NFA rules
- Proficiency in conducting legal research and analysis
- Strong understanding of the underlying problems, opportunities and political forces affecting NFA
Read about NFA's generous and flexible benefits package that allows employees to balance work and life.
Learn about how NFA's culture drives our success.
Meet NFA employees and learn about their careers.
Learn about how NFA cares for the health and wellness of our employees and communities to promote the pursuit of excellence in our employees work.