Centralized Data Science and Analytics Intern
Department: Information Systems
Location: Chicago, IL
Job ID: 357
When you join NFA as a Centralized Data Science and Analytics (CDSA) Intern, you will gain unique insight into the global derivatives industry and its regulatory framework, utilizing the critical thinking, data analysis and technical skills you've developed in the classroom.
Bring your analytical and innovative mindsets. Bring your thirst for knowledge and learning. Bring an aptitude for problem solving and an eye for detail.
Beginning your first day, you'll gain exceptional experiences, personalized learning and invaluable coaching and mentoring. We strive to develop our talented interns into future NFA and industry leaders, and our internship program is designed with that goal in mind.
What you'll do:
As a CDSA Intern, you'll learn alongside a high-performing team of data science professionals in providing meaningful analytics. Those analytics then inform NFA's development of innovative application tools which support our important regulatory mission. Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Developing an understanding of internal clients' business needs by learning about NFA's procedures, risk areas and regulatory framework.
- Identifying possible technical improvements.
- Creating or updating application tools in Python and/or R using advanced modeling techniques.
- Developing Tableau dashboards to present data and application output in a meaningful, visually appealing way.
- Completing code reviews to ensure programs and applications meet organizational standards and end-user requirements.
- Generating ad-hoc SQL queries.
- Participating in and potentially leading CDSA training sessions.
We're committed to educating our interns and providing them with the skills necessary for success. Thanks to industry-specific training classes and our internal educational programs, an NFA internship will enable you to take away important industry knowledge and professional skills you can apply in your future career.
What we’re looking for:
Team-oriented individuals thrive in this collaborative, analytical role. We value diverse perspectives and are looking for motivated applicants with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. If you're eager to apply your quantitative abilities to serve a public good—supporting the integrity of the derivatives markets—and meet the qualifications below, we encourage you to apply to join our team as a CDSA Intern.
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a quantitative major (e.g. mathematical finance, mathematics, statistics, computer science)
- Experience in data visualization techniques (preferably Tableau)
- Experience in programming (preferably Python, SQL, R and/or Matlab)
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming design and large datasets
- Knowledge of and/or interest in finance or economics
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and adjust to changing priorities/requirements
- Ability to work in NFA's Chicago office at least 60% of the time (part-time starting January 2022, full-time starting summer 2022)
- Experience in source control (Git preferred) and testing-driven development a plus
- Experience in Agile/Scrum, Azure Cloud and/or DevOps a plus
- Experience with machine learning/AI a plus
Why choose NFA?
We understand how important culture is to an organization, and we pursue a culture of excellence where every NFA employee, regardless of circumstances, can succeed. Our workforce respects and celebrates each employee's diversity, unique values and abilities, all of which mold our creative approach to regulation. Most importantly, we believe that our diverse, inclusive workforce makes NFA a friendly, supportive and enjoyable place to work.
Read about NFA's generous and flexible benefits package that allows employees to balance work and life.
Learn about how NFA's culture drives our success.
Meet NFA employees and learn about their careers.
Learn about how NFA cares for the health and wellness of our employees and communities to promote the pursuit of excellence in our employees work.