Vice President, OTC Derivatives
Department: OTC Derivatives
Location: New York, NY
Description: The Vice President, OTC Derivatives will be a leader who is not only highly regarded as an over-the-counter derivatives expert and reputable in the derivatives industry, but is able to anticipate evolving market and regulatory changes and engage the industry in dialogue. The individual will be responsible for discharging NFA's program to oversee swap dealer (SD) Members and offer guidance regarding NFA's strategic direction and the day-to-day management of the organization. The individual will be a public-facing figure who has excellent communication skills and can actively engage with NFA's Board of Directors and its Committees; Officers and employees; CFTC Commissioners and staff, and other regulators and banking supervisors in the U.S. and abroad; NFA Members; and the industry's various trade associations.
- Serve as the external representative of NFA's SD regulatory program and represent NFA within the derivatives industry, and towards the public, other regulators, and banking supervisors. Assist NFA Officers with developing and executing strategies to develop external relationships with market participants and foster coordination with other regulators.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the OTC derivatives regulatory framework and NFA and CFTC regulatory requirements and the regulatory issues facing the OTC derivative's industry. Keep abreast of regulatory and industry developments and trends and be able to adjust and adapt NFA's OTC Derivatives department's focus and resources to meet challenges associated with industry shifts and regulatory changes.
- Direct the day-to-day activities of NFA's OTC Derivatives department, which includes overseeing the implementation and ongoing operation of the SD regulatory program—examinations and monitoring; risk assessment; investigations and enforcement actions; the review and approval of initial margin models and potentially capital models; and education. Prioritize work and align departmental resources to deliver results consistent with the department's established goals and NFA's strategic direction, goals and roles as a self-regulatory organization.
- Establish policy positions relating to SD regulatory requirements, examination standards, and findings in collaboration with NFA Officers and CFTC Commissioners and staff as appropriate.
- Foster a culture that is agile, challenges the status quo and embraces change; champions continuous learning and improvement; is collegial and places NFA's needs and outcomes above personal agendas; places an emphasis on working across the organization to leverage the expertise necessary to deliver results; offers innovative and creative solutions to difficult regulatory challenges; respects diversity and treats individuals with respect; and holds individuals accountable.
- Develop the OTC Derivatives department's staff and foster leadership and senior management succession pipeline by, in part, establishing the department's strategy for staffing, talent development and retention. Coach and develop the OTC Derivatives department's direct reports and monitor the performance of those individuals, including with regard to their development of others.
- Ensure effective communication up and down, and across the organization.
- Support NFA's CEO and COO in the execution of NFA's strategic direction and organizational goals.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master of Business Administration or Juris Doctor degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 combined years' prior experience in regulatory fields in the derivatives or banking industries
- Superior analytical, oral and written communication, and leadership skills
- Prior supervisory experience
- Must possess strong negotiation and problem-solving skills, as well as a strategic mindset
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience
NFA offers a generous and flexible benefits package that allows employees to balance work and life.
By actively engaging in the development of our employees, NFA has further enhanced our culture and advancement of our employees, which drives our success.
Meet NFA's employees and learn about their career progression.
NFA believes caring for the health and wellness of our employees and bettering our communities to promote the pursuit of excellence in our employees work.