New NFA Member Orientation
In order to help Members better understand their regulatory requirements, NFA has developed this New Member Orientation section.
Once your membership has been approved, Members must designate an Executive Representative. The Member's Executive Representative is the only person who can:
- submit a petition to nominate someone for election as a Director;
- cast votes on a Member's behalf in a contested election for an NFA Director position; or
- vote to approve or not approve an amendment to NFA's Articles of Incorporation.
All notices concerning Director elections, Article amendments and Director nominations will be sent only to the Member's Executive Representative.
The first time that a Member visits the Executive Representative Contact form, the Membership Contact listed on the Member firm's application will be displayed. If a Member does not designate a different individual as its Executive Representative in the Executive Representative Contact form, then the individual listed as its Membership Contact on its application will be deemed to be the Member's Executive Representative.
Below are some general resources that are relevant to all NFA membership categories. You may refer to these resources on a regular basis as an NFA Member.
- Commodity Exchange Act (CEA): The CEA establishes the statutory framework under which the CFTC operates.
- NFA Regulatory Requirements for FCMs, IBs, CPOs and CTAs: Learn about regulatory requirements as a CFTC registrant and NFA Member.
- Forex Transactions: A Regulatory Guide: Understand the regulatory requirements that govern retail off-exchange foreign currency (forex) transactions.
- NFA Rulebook: NFA's Rulebook consists of NFA Rules, Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Financial Requirements, and Interpretive Notices.
- CFTC Regulations: Find these regulations in Title 17 Chapter I of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- NFA's Online Registration System (ORS): ORS allows firms and individuals to register with the CFTC and apply for NFA membership. ORS also simplifies the update and withdrawal process. The NFA Dashboard, the entryway to ORS, summarizes all outstanding filing requirements.
- Registration Video Tutorials: These tutorials help applicants with the registration process.
- Background Affiliation Status Information Center (BASIC): BASIC contains CFTC registration and NFA membership information and futures-related regulatory and non-regulatory actions contributed by NFA, the CFTC and the U.S. futures exchanges.
- NFA's Information Center: Our knowledgeable and helpful Information Center representatives are available from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday, to answer your questions and provide additional information on any NFA-related topic.